Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mike O'Meara


Being a cartoonist is, by dint of its nature, a truly solitary endeavor; countless hours are spent alone, grinding it out, making a meager living. Humans are social creatures, and when one spends an inordinate amount of time alone such as I (I mean, look at the url above), they tend to seek out human interaction, no matter how passive the experience may be. The sound of another voice helps the hours go by a bit faster, and the tedium a little less painful. Aside from the watching of countless horror films in the periphery of my vision, I like to listen to the radio, or more precisely, podcasts of radio shows.

I was a fan of the Don and Mike radio show for the better part of a decade until Don left. Mike O'Meara immediately took over and provided an entertaining, thoughtful and hilarious radio show for over a year until recently when the radio station decided to change formats, thus canceling the Mike O'Meara show. Needless to say, I am really, really sad about this. I have no doubt he will land on his feet at another station, but I am reeling from the news nonetheless. Good thing I have thousands of hours of his broadcasts saved on my hard drive.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you be sitting Shiva? You should check out the Rick Emmerson show that recently moved to 101.

July 22, 2009 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger Brian Churilla said...

I listened to him for several years when he was on AM radio, until one day there was a news story in which a woman was being repeatedly abused by her husband, to which he scoffed, and I quote, "Just leave!". He went on and on about how he doesn't understand why women don't just leave those situations, and his delivery was far from compassionate, rather, it was quite intolerant and misogynistic. "Just leave!" Yeah, it's that easy, you prick.

July 22, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home