Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Die, Earthlink. Die.

Chat InformationWelcome to Earthlink LiveChat. Your chat session will begin shortly. Feel free to begin typing your question.
Chat Information'Satchel G' says: Thank you for contacting EarthLink LiveChat, how may I help you today?
manmade@earthlink.net: A few months ago, I canceled my earthlink service (DSL). At that time, I was offered two free months of email. Now I have received an email threatening to pay for this service, which was supposed to be complimentary
manmade@earthlink.net: I want this resolved.
Satchel G: I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Give me a chance I will set this right.
manmade@earthlink.net: I have encountered nothing but problems with earthlink
Satchel G: Please provide me with the security word on your account for verification. The hint for which is Mothers Maiden Name.
manmade@earthlink.net: XXXXXXXXX
Satchel G: Thank you for the account verification information. I was able to verify your account.
Satchel G: As you have receive the two months free service for November and December now your acount is charged for the month of January.
Satchel G: From now your account will be charged for the service $3.95 a month and $2.00 paper invoice.
manmade@earthlink.net: Right, but after december it was supposed to let it expire
manmade@earthlink.net: i don't want this account anymore
manmade@earthlink.net: i cancelled the account
manmade@earthlink.net: the two months free was a conciliatory gift for you guys screwing me last time.
Satchel G: I am sorry, you have not inactivated the account after the free months service.
manmade@earthlink.net: i was never told I had to
Satchel G: There is no contact in the month of December to inactivate the account.
Satchel G: Do you have confirmation number of your account cancellation?
manmade@earthlink.net: right, because I was never told I would have to
manmade@earthlink.net: why would i make contact when I've closed the account
manmade@earthlink.net: m done with the account
manmade@earthlink.net: all of the emails have been forwarded to my new account
manmade@earthlink.net: there is no reason to "contact"
Satchel G: I am sorry, you were offered the service with two months free and there after $3.95 a month.
Satchel G: You need to get back to us to avoid the charges after free months service.
manmade@earthlink.net: Nope, I don't. That's on Earthlink. It's fraud to do this sort of thing.
manmade@earthlink.net: Fraud
Satchel G: If you want you can inactivate the account now.
Satchel G: Make the payment for the balance due I will provide you with confirmation of account cancellation.
manmade@earthlink.net: Do you see that Earthlink charged me #.95 in December?
manmade@earthlink.net: 3.95?
Satchel G: Yes, the charges are refunded.
Satchel G: Refund check is processed on 12/09/08 for $3.95.
manmade@earthlink.net: Right, so there's a record of inaccurate billing and discrepancies right there in front of you.
manmade@earthlink.net: I'm not making this up.
manmade@earthlink.net: I was never told I would have to physically call and deactivate the account
manmade@earthlink.net: There was never any word given as to the nature of this "offer".
Satchel G: I am not authorize to cancel the account with balance due.
manmade@earthlink.net: I am not liable for these charges. It was a conciliatory offer because of the poor service
manmade@earthlink.net: I'm not willing to give my credit card information because of Earthlink's inaccurate billing history. You over billed me numerous times. Is that the kind of outfit you run over there, "Satchel"?
manmade@earthlink.net: Can you understand why someone wuld be apprehensive to do so given that earthlink has a record for over billing?\
manmade@earthlink.net: Can you please transfer me to someone who is authorized?
Satchel G: I apologize for any inconvenience caused.
manmade@earthlink.net: Copy and paste.
Satchel G: Please stay on hold while I transfer your chat to the supervisor.
manmade@earthlink.net: Copy and paste.
Chat InformationPlease wait while I transfer the chat to 'Raymond N.'.
Chat Information'Raymond N.' says: Thank you for contacting EarthLink LiveChat, how may I help you today?
Raymond N.: Hello, I see you've already been chatting. Please give me a moment so I can read the previous chat and pick up where you left off.
Raymond N.: I will assist you with the issue.
Raymond N.: Let me inform you that no account is set to close with future date.
Raymond N.: According to EarthLink policies any account is set to close at the end of Bill cycle date.
Raymond N.: Once you received the refund for the month of December invoice you have not confirmed for account cancellation.
Raymond N.: This is the your account is charged automatically.
Raymond N.: Are we still connected?
manmade@earthlink.net: When I closed my DSl service, two free months of email service were offered as a conciliatory offer. I was never told I would have to go and physically deactivate the account. I understand that there is an Earthlink policy, but if that policy is never conveyed to the customer, how is the customer supposed to know?
manmade@earthlink.net: You are then trapped. When the offer expires, you are then being charged for an account which you believe is closed.
manmade@earthlink.net: How was I supposed to know the account was still opened? How was I supposed to know I needed to close it
manmade@earthlink.net: Because of Earthlinks inaccurate billing practices, I am unwilling to give any finacial information over, as I fear it will be used in a fraudulent manner as it has in the past.
Raymond N.: Not to worry, now I will waive off the charges on your account now and inactivate the account as of today.
Raymond N.: Also provide you with confirmation number.
manmade@earthlink.net: You can look in the billing history at the various refunds given due to Earthlink's inability to bill accurately
manmade@earthlink.net: Over the years there are sveral
manmade@earthlink.net: Okay, thank you.
Raymond N.: Please stay on hold while I process the cancellation.
manmade@earthlink.net: Thanks
Raymond N.: I've taken care of canceling your service as of today XX/XX/XXXX, your last charge date was XX/XX/XXXX in the amount of $5.95. For your records, the Cancellation Confirmation number is XXXXXXXXX. Can you provide me with an alternate email address so that we can send a cancellation confirmation email to you within the next two weeks?
manmade@earthlink.net: XXXXXXXXXXX
Raymond N.: Updated the email address.
manmade@earthlink.net: Thanks
Raymond N.: You will not be able to access the email address any more and will not be able to retrieve any information from the email address.
Raymond N.: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
manmade@earthlink.net: No. Thank you very much.
Raymond N.: Thank you for using EarthLink LiveChat. If you would like a copy of this chat emailed to you, you may choose that option upon closing this window. In the survey that appears, the second to last question will ask if you would like this emailed...choose Yes. In the last box, enter your email address...the entire chat session will be automatically sent to you. Should you need any further assistance, please feel free to return to EarthLink LiveChat.
Chat InformationChat session has been ended by the agent.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Gatsby said...

"Copy and paste."

Haha!

April 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Brian Churilla said...

Yeah. So many of their responses are prefabricated. Bastards.

April 15, 2009 at 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Jason Takes Portland said...

Reading that was so painful my eyes are bleeding...

June 22, 2009 at 2:16 PM  
Anonymous T.A. Paxton said...

I'm trying to close now. Would not acknowledge letter. Live chat directs to phone. Phone immediately says unusual high traffic on the line and won't let you through. Mind you that high traffic apparently only starts when you say you want to close an account. I reported them to the business bureau. Feel like a war is coming...

November 11, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home